In the Media
There was no summer break for the Jones Collection, as we continued our preservation efforts far below the Greer Garson Theatre. During these dog days of summer, keeping a cool 50 degrees in our temperature-controlled vault, we mined away into the deepest recesses of our archive and uncovered some truly phenomenal footage. Here are just a few of the media highlights:
- University of Texas – Dallas – 50th Anniversary
- WFAA – Dallas Chaparrals
- WFAA – Six Flags Over Texas
- Dallas Morning News – Lost film flashes back to Dallas’ forgotten 1969 Vietnam War protest — starring the Velvet Underground!
- Brooklyn Vegan – Rare color live footage of The Velvet Underground unearthed
- Consequence of Sound – Unseen colored video of Velvet Underground performing at Dallas war protest unearthed
- D Magazine – Footage of Velvet Underground Playing at White Rock Lake Surfaces
- Dangerous Minds – COLOR FOOTAGE OF THE VELVET UNDERGROUND PERFORMING IN 1969 UNEARTHED!
- JamBase – Velvet Underground Footage From 1969 Surfaces
- Open Culture – Watch The Velvet Underground Perform in Rare Color Footage: Scenes from a Vietnam War Protest Concert (1969)
- Far Out Magazine – Rare unseen footage of The Velvet Underground performing at a protest in 1969 has been unearthed
- WFAA – Lakewood Theatre
- WFAA – H. Ross Perot
- WFAA – Lake Worth Monster
- WFAA – Dallas Municipal Building
- WFAA – Texas International Pop Festival
- WFAA – Dallas Cowboys Training Camp
- WFAA – Rideshare Service
- Dallas Morning News – What happened at the Lewisville pop festival, of ’69 summer lore, as told by those who were there
After an extensive remodel, The Jones Collection has moved into and setup our new home across the hall from our film vault.
Social Media Stats for September
We had just around 242,300 video views this summer alone! Our most popular clips during the month of September were:
We’ve done it! It’s been a project 8 years in the making, taking thousands of manhours and involving literal blood, sweat, and tears, but it’s finally complete. We are very excited to announce that we’ve digitized our entire collection of WFAA 16mm newsfilm. 3,925 rolls! Almost 1,108 hours! This monumental project spans almost 20 years of forgotten DFW history, footage that hasn’t seen the light of day since it originally aired. (And in some cases, footage that has never seen before!), This work is available for researchers, students, and historians! We’re so excited to continue to share this footage with you. Check out a sample of all that we have here.
- The Jones Collection’s recently unearth footage of the Velvet Underground screened at KNON’s Third Annual Film Festival at the Texas Theatre.
- Curator Jeremy Spracklen represented the Jones Collection at two film festivals this summer. He worked as a projectionist at Michael Moore’s Mountainfilm Festival and served as head projectionist at the esteemed Telluride Film Festival.
- A screening of RECORDER – THE MARION STOKES PROJECT, showing as a part of the Oak Cliff Film Festival, was co-sponsored by the Jones Collection.
The Jones Collection screened prints for SMU classes, continued its monthly series at the historic Texas Theatre, and had several prints travel nationally and abroad. These include:
- THE BLOOD OF JESUS – Digital – Greer Garson 3531
- THE BLOOD OF JESUS – 35mm – Locarno Film Festival
- DOTS – 16mm – Southern Methodist University
- CYCLONE – 35mm – Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers
- MURDER IN HARLEM – DCP – Bucknell University
- THE SENIORS – 35mm – Texas Theatre
- THE BLOOD OF JESUS – DCP – Kino Rex, Bern