In the Media
- Dallas Morning News’ Robert Wilonsky wrote a great piece on the work that we are doing with our social media push. That article can be found here.
- WFAA’s Chris Sadeghi aired a story on Grand Prairie as part of a long term collaboration with the Jones Collection. That story can be found here. here.
- The Fort Worth Star Telegram ran a story on MayFest using footage from the Jones Collection, which can be found here.
- WFAA ran a story on the history of Dallas’ Burnett Field with footage from the Jones Collection’s WFAA archive. That story can be found here.
- Bud Kennedy of the Fort Worth Star Telegram wrote a piece on DFW’s response to the assassination of MLK, using footage taken from the Jones Collection. That story can be found here.
- D Magazine wrote an article on the five films to not miss during the Dallas International Film Festival, including KERA’s FRAME OF MIND: REMIXING THE NEWS, which is here.
- Netflix premiered BOBBY KENNEDY FOR PRESIDENT, a four-part docu-series following RFK’s 1968 presidential run, which utilizes Jones Collection footage. More info can be found here.
- WFAA aired a piece on astronaut, Alan Bean, using footage taken from the Jones Collection. That piece can be found here.
- The family of Dallas Cowboys’ owner, Clint Murchison Jr., commissioned a short documentary using Jones Collection footage. That short can be found here: here.
Social Media Stats for April and May
57,135 video views for a total of 75,135 minutes over the last two months. Our most popular videos during this period were:
To date, we have digitized 2,830 rolls of WFAA newsfilm and now have over 830 hours of video ready to be used in research, documentaries, or for just a look into the past.
- May 4, 2018 – Going through some of our unidentified inventory in the Jones Collection, we uncovered an episode of Captain Kangaroo from 1956 that we believe had been lost!
- May 5, 2018 – The Jones Collection announced their collaboration with the project SANTOS VIVE, a documentary focusing on the Dallas murder of 12-year-old Santos Rodriguez, told in part through footage used from our collection. More information about this project can be found here: https://www.santosvive.com/en/about/
- May 8, 2018 – The Dallas International Film Festival held a special screening of REMIXING THE NEWS. Originally airing last year, this episode of KERA’s FRAME OF MIND features several short films comprised solely of recontextualized news footage taken from the Jones archive’s WFAA Newsfilm Collection. The Collection’s own curator, Jeremy Spracklen, has two films in the program. A Q&A with the filmmakers, including curator Spracklen, was held after the screening.
- May 20, 2018 – HIGH YELLOW in DCP screened at the Texas Theater. Restored by the Jones Collection and SMU Meadows graduate students, this restoration came from negative elements donated to the Collection in 2016. We hope to continue work on this film restoration into the fall.
- April 15, 2018 – BLACK CAT in DCP, from a 4K film scan created by the Jones Collection. Harold Hoffman’s forgotten B-slasher pic was filmed in and around the Fort Worth area.
- May 20, 2018 – Larry Buchanan’s HIGH YELLOW in DCP, restored by the Jones Collection and SMU graduate students, screened at the Texas Theater.
- July 3, 2018 – The Collection’s 35mm print of the B-flick JAWS rip-off, ALLIGATOR, will be screening at the Texas Theatre as a part of their Tuesday Night Trash series.